Image Map

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Totes Magotes!


Name that movie!  Haha - one of my favortie lines ever!  In case you have no idea what "Totes Magotes" is from you can watch the clip from the movie here!

On April 4th we will be exactly four months away from graduation!  Talk about exciting and terrifying at the same time!  Once we graduate we have to take our certification exam, the PANCE.  I'm typically a huge procrastinator, but I'm not going to risk anything on this exam.  It's kind of a big deal, so I'm starting my studying now.  I've been carrying around my study materials in a little tote that was kind of boring, so I decided to make a bright one that would make me happy!

Enter, Totes Magotes!


I used a home decor fabric from Joanns for the outer fabric, and a regular cotton fabric for the lining.  I used muslin for the straps and pockets.  I bought one yard of each fabric for $17, but only used half of the outer fabric and about 3/4 of the inner fabric.  So I'd say it was right at $10 to make.

I followed Say Yes To Hoboken's tutorial for the tote, and Cut Out and Keep's tutorial for the pocket (well, kinda).

I put a divided pocket on one side to hold my water and any other goodies.  I did the pockets from the tutorial by memory, and realized I did them wrong.  Oh well, they still work!



I took two pieces of cardboard and wrapped them with my ScotchBlue Painter's Tape.  I made a pocket out of the lining fabric and slid it over the cardboard.  I then placed this in the bottom of the bag.  It adds support so my bag has a solid bottom.  If I spill something in the bag I can remove the cardboard and wash the rest - here is the cardboard insert:


Now I have a cute, cheery tote to haul around my study materials for the next four months!




I love the fabric and the long straps!


Cheers!!
PhotobucketPhotobucket HookingupwithHoHUndertheTableandDreamingSew ChattyPhotobucket

22 comments:

  1. Great job! This is great! Thank you for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that movie! and the tote is adorable! chris and i actually changed the quote a little and call our kids toots magoots for obvious reasons....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that fabric. There is a new Joanne's opening up by my work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I love the fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Katie! I'm impressed!! Love the fabrics you chose! I'm sure this tote will make your last four months bright and cheery. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. totally!! love the new tote!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that tote! You have a wonderful blog and I am excited to be a new follower on GFC. I would like to invite you come visit my blog @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/
    and share in my link party @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/2012/03/welcome-to-our-3rd-link-party-we-are-so.html
    Hope to see you there
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck on your PANCE! you will do great, I took the chicago review course and it was a huge help.

    LoriLGrundy@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's adorable Katie! Love the fabric combination! Featuring you this morning. You are a sewing whiz!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loveeeeeeee this! It is fun with all the colors and patterns! I want it!!!
    I am so glad you came by to link up to the party at Embracing Change!
    Please come back this week again! I would love to have you there!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  11. Katie, I love the tote. I see we were featured together again at Elizabeth and Co. congrats! Kathy, Petticoat Junktion

    ReplyDelete
  12. I featured you today! I love this bag! Come and grab a button Katie! Thanks for linking up - I just adore how you adore COLOR!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the fabric, love the tote, love the name of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. sweet bag Katie, the fabric is pretty and I love the inside pockets!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  15. So incredibly cute! Love both the outside and inner fabric...great choices. And, you can't beat that price! Now following you via GFC. Best of luck with your exams!

    Maggie
    www.thehellonheelshousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. your bag is super cute - I love the fabric you chose too!! :)

    I featured this on my blog today:
    http://christinasadventures.com/2012/04/sunday-features-67-68.html

    and I pinned it too!
    http://pinterest.com/christinasadven/20-below-features/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful tote! Do you happen to know what the exterior fabric is called??

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is sooo creative and pretty.. It'll make an awesome mother's day gift.. I would LOVE if you could please share it via my mother's day "gifts, tips and idea's" linky open today.. THANKS so much.. LOVELY idea.. Happy weekend ahead.. ~Marilyn http://www.theartsygirlconnection.com/2012/04/celebrating-motherhood-gifts-tips-fun.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is so beautiful. love the fabric choices--they're so fun and look great together. good luck studying--i remember studying for the boards and it can be all consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I saw this pinned on pinterest and I totally clicked it because it said totes magotes!!!! My husband and I LOVE that movie! The bag (tote) also looks fabulous! :) Great job!

    -Katie
    Building a House of Love

    ReplyDelete

  21. I also love this movie. I need to write a review for this film. But i pay for term papers, so i won't write the review myself.

    ReplyDelete

I love all your sweet comments! If you don't hear back from me, make sure your no-reply setting is disabled! I always write back!